Thursday 29 April 2010

6) A Coronach for Black Society by Salif Keita - Folon

Regarding The Bluest Eye

When I listen the song " Folon" at first time, it affected me so much. I don't know why!? Maybe, Salif Keita's fascinatic voice causes that but even though I don't know the language it makes me feel a pain in my heart. Then, I researched information about Salif Keita and his song "Folon", I understood why I feel these strong feelings because the song tells how black people live in past and how they live now. He mentions what they faced in the past and how these change. The lyric of "Folon" in Mali language and English translation below;

fôlon, é té nyinika
fôlon, né té nyinika
fôlon, a toun bé kè t'ni dén
fôlon, ko kow koun bé kè
fôlon, môgow ma koté

kouma diougou bé môgo mi kono
hèrè bi môgo mi kono
kongo bé môgo mi laaaaa
fôlon, kow ko koun bi la
fôlon, é koun té sé kô fô.

sissan, é bé nyinika
sissan, né bé nyinika
sissan, an bé bè nyinika
sissan, ko kow koun bé kè
sissan, môgow ma ko bala

(translation)

In the past, no one questioned to you
In the past, no one questioned to me
In the past, that’s how it used to be
In the past, whatever happened
In the past, no one wanted to know

People who had suggestions to make
People who could think for themselves
People who were hungry
In the past whatever happened
In the past, you could not speak about it.

Today, you are supposed to take part
Today, I’m supposed to take part
Today, we are all supposed to take part
Today, whatever’s happening
we’re all asked to take part
Today, people want to know

In the past, people did not want to know


We have read The Bluest Eye written in 70's nowadays. We witness to Black Peoples conditions in poverty, ignorance, dearth and being rejected in the past. But today, A Black person is the president of world. One of the member of the most oppressed race is USA president, Barack Obama and, Today, They can pursuit their rights, they take part in World, they can speak, they can ask. Now they can exist and tell it clearly.

I strogly recommend to listen The song "Folon". It is really one of the most beatiful song in world, of course this is my idea :)

12 comments:

  1. Oh Gamze, what a wonderful post. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful, magical song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is my pleasure.. I hope that others listen to this wonderful song :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just searching for the meaning because my 9yr old son asked me the other day why that song is sad. He is a big fan of Salif Keita..Thank you for sharing the lyrics!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful soul to talk about!
    Thank you for sharing the musician, the song, and the lyrics' translation

    ReplyDelete
  5. It happened to me the same thing to you, the first time I heard Folon was impressed. Now I hear very often. Youtube video is very good by the scenes of Africa (I think they are the past of Salif Keita when he was a little noy and lived in Djoliba, near Níger river). Thank you very much for your work and for the letter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same with Seydou..does anyone know what it means?soo beautiful..I wanna cry laugh get up and live!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I just discovered today as well, it’s a tribute to a fashion designer called Chris Seydou who passed away in 1994

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you gamzeu for the translation. Salif's voice itself is great, no wonder why he his voice is the golden voice of Africa..

    ReplyDelete